Monday, August 20, 2018

Topic: Rain

Rain on a Cold Tin Roof

As an engineer, you're required to have a, "Girlfriend in Germany."  I actually did.  It was an odd summer.

I had been pursuing a lady for a couple years, including one really bad date early in the process.  She kept saying that she liked me, then would go date some other guy.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  I finally stopped trying.  Then, right before she graduated, she showed great interest in me and also announced that she was going to Germany the summer after her graduation.  Well, fine.

That was a wild summer overall.  I was working well more than full time; most of my time cards were in the 60-70 hour range per week.  Some of my best college friends were finishing their final semesters that summer.  I was either ignoring them for work, or to stay sober enough to 1AM so I could ring up a massive phone bill calling the, "girlfriend in Germany," before she went to work in the morning at her boarding house.

The living quarters were also pretty strange.  Our house had a second-floor entrance, and I actually lived in the entry way.  It was probably 10x15 with a small closet, but I didn't have a roommate, and the door also had a really neat tin-roofed walkway.

That summer, it rained like it was the sky's only job.  On many days when I got home from work, I'd put a desk chair out on the walkway and listen to the rain hammer the roof while I fought depression.  I seem to remember one day it was blowing sideways, and I soaked my tie so much that it stained the shirt I was wearing.  And I liked that tie, too.

To this day, the sound of a hard rain cheers me.  The girlfriend dumped me two days after she came back, the roommates forgave me after I bought all the kegs for their graduation party (but that's a different story), and rain makes me happy.

1 comment:

  1. So you're one of those people.... I, for one, cannot stand rain. I blame it on living under a leaky roof which I was too poor to fix for nearly ten years. The sound fills me with feelings of dread and ineptitude.

    ReplyDelete

  “They’re Weird People, Mom”   My babysitter Mary Ann uttered that phrase when I was about 11 years old.   I think her name was Mary An...