Saturday, September 8, 2018

Topic: Illness

Illnesses can be tricky things. I have to deal with that fact daily in my job. It’s always important to consider multiple possible explanations for the condition a patient presents with. And once I experienced a sort of misdiagnosis personally.

I had just moved to Albuquerque in October of 2008. I was settling in to my new job as an Urgent Care doc reasonably well. But then I started to experience nausea on a daily basis. Sometimes it was mild, sometimes it was severe. I never had to vomit but I sure felt like it. I had no fever, no change in stool, no change in appetite, no other symptoms at all. Sometimes I even had to miss work because of it.

One morning it was particularly bad but I simply couldn’t miss work. After I got there one of my partners began to quiz me. I revealed that almost a year before coming to Albuquerque I had to get a stent in one of my coronary arteries. “Holy Shit!”, she said. “Your stent may be blocked!” To be honest, I hadn’t considered the possibility of my coronary artery disease causing the nausea, though nausea can be a sign of a heart attack. She made me get an EKG which showed some modest changes, though nothing consistent with an acute blockage. But she called the ambulance anyhow and soon I was on my way to a downtown hospital.

In the ambulance I reflected on the fact that I been a really lousy, non-compliant patient. I had been diagnosed with diabetes 5 years earlier and never really took the medicines I was prescribed. And I was prescribed several other medicines after the stent, which I also didn’t take. In the ER the doc asked why. I told him I was very depressed and unhappy and I supposed that was my passive way of committing suicide. “GODDAMN IT WHY DID YOU TELL ME THAT?!!”, he erupted. “Now I have to call a Psychiatry consult! You knew that!” Actually that hadn’t crossed my mind but before Psych arrived the Cardiologist showed up.

The Cardiologist took a history, looked at my EKG and offered me the choice of a stress test or a repeat cardiac catheterization. I chose the cath, since I knew that cardiothoracic surgeons frequently operated on people who had had a normal stress test the week before - in other words, the stress test could miss a blockage whereas a catheterization would let the Cardiologist see my coronary arteries directly.

So I underwent the cardiac cath. And to my surprise, my stent had gotten blocked - it was 99% occluded and I could have had a heart attack at any minute. Actually I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised, given the fact that I hadn’t been taking the medicines I was supposed to. The Cardiologist speculated that the blocked artery, passing close to my diaphragm, may have been provoking the nausea. 

I had to spend that night in the hospital. I was on a morphine pump for pain control, which usually is unnecessary but in my case I woke up while they were clamping my femoral artery, which caused the worst, most visceral pain I had ever felt. The Cardiologist promised me if I let them finish clamping the artery he would give me whatever I wanted for pain so I went for the gold standard. I don’t know if you’ve ever had to have a narcotic pain medication but the way they work is such that you still know you have pain but you don’t care.

Anyhow after a day or two, I was back at work. They wanted me to take a week off but I didn’t want to just sit around my condo. And - the nausea came right back when I returned to work. I was really frustrated.

Finally it dawned on me that I hadn’t had my vision checked for years. It turned out that my glasses prescription had changed drastically due to my untreated diabetes, and after I got new glasses the nausea resolved. So in my case a misdiagnosis may have saved my life!

EPILOGUE: Psych visited me after the cath. I assured them that I didn't actually want to hurt myself. She said she would visit me again before I left the hospital, but she never came back. So either I reassured her sufficiently, or she gave up on me, not sure which. At any rate, my mood is now great!

I have subsequently had 2 more cardiac caths, with stent placement, despite complying with my meds. So I think I just tend to block off arteries easily. 

My diabetes is under excellent control now. Glycohemoglobin is a lab test that shows how one's blood sugar has been running over the last 3 months. Normal is between 4.0 and 5.6. My glycohemoglobin is now 6.2; for well-controlled diabetes it should be less than 6.5. Mine had been as high as 13! My excellent endocrinologist figured out that I actually have something called Cushing's Disease, in which one's adrenal glands are too active. This causes excess cortisol production, which leads to high blood sugars. She gave me a medicine to suppress the excess cortisol & my sugars are great now.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Still, many unanswered questions: What did the psychiatrist say? Are you finally taking your diabetes meds? Has your overall outlook improved of late?

    ReplyDelete

  “They’re Weird People, Mom”   My babysitter Mary Ann uttered that phrase when I was about 11 years old.   I think her name was Mary An...