Sunday, February 3, 2019

Topic: Moving

Author: Chris Dunn

As I sit here catching my breath, with Tony come and gone, and the tiniest space made by the removal of old shelving units about to be filled by the arrival of new shelves brought by my brother, I reflect on how moving used to be easier. Sure, there are always logistic hassles to overcome in any moving endeavor: renting a U-Haul, bribing enough friends so that the work doesn’t take days, scheduling it all to fall in that brief window when you have access to both locales and authority to come and go as you will, but I’m just talking about physical fatigue. Moving in and of itself used to be easier!

We’re emptying out my parent’s house in preparation for sale. Everything needs a place and each of us is taking in all we can. Marty’s bringing me down a set of bookshelves, and a dresser, and a sewing machine, and an end table, and TV stand and a TV among many other things. I would’ve had to hire movers – as my sisters planned to do – but Marty wouldn’t have it. He got giant U-Haul enlisted some youthful muscle and took it upon himself. When he gets here, all I’ll be able to do is watch and perhaps move things out of their way. I made the mistake of helping him carry a monk’s bench to his car earlier in the week and it aggravated a hernia and caused me cramps for days. Jill’s in little better shape, complaining of twinges in her sides whenever she over exerts. We talk about yoga and physical action plans to correct the downward course of our physical trajectory. “Yeah… We should really get on that.”

Was it really so long ago, when Tony and Tonya moved down from Fairfield with Bobby and we divided the third floor up to accommodate them? I remember carrying a TV in from the truck all by myself. It can’t have been very recent since the TV wasn’t some simple flat screen, but rather a bulky CRT. Only 24” but I barely heaved it through the door alone even then. I immediately dropped it on the couch and went in search of water and someone to bitch at about how I was deteriorating. Little did I know…

Every year things get heavier, and new aches and pains assail my frail form. Sometimes when the weather is right my knee will ache for hours, and if I don’t stay hydrated, I get awful cramps in my shins that wake me out of what passes for “sound” sleep these days. I’m falling apart, but I’ve always felt like that, I guess. My 40-year-old self wasn’t up to the level of my 30-year-old self, my 30-year-old self wasn’t up to the level of my 20-year-old, and my 20-year-old self was a lazy tub!

As I lamented my sorry state to Tony about moving the TV alone and having to abandon it just inside the door, so my back didn’t give out, I suddenly remember something very important. Tony was in the kitchen setting up the iguana cage as I was kvetching about my poor body. His disinterested grunts made me wonder what he had to be so interested about otherwise. Some stupid cage… Iguana cage…

“Oh shit!” I exclaimed aloud and raced to the front of the house. This got Tony’s attention and he followed wondering what could cause me to move with such energy. There was no time to explain.

You see, earlier when they had first arrived, Tony had handed me a pillow case that was tied shut. Something warm writhed within, and I quickly realized it contained the newest animal addition to my household. Rex (later re-sexed and named, Regina. See earlier story, “About a Pet…” for more on Rex) an iguana that Tony was taking care of while Karl, her real owner, got a place of his own. Not knowing what to do with the critter until her cage was set up, I dropped the pillowcase on the couch, the same couch where I had dropped the TV! Nearly in tears, I heaved the television aside, certain I had crushed my friend’s pet and inaugurated our new living arrangement with about the most ill omen imaginable. The pillowcase was still as I picked it up. I furiously tore at the knot, but when it opened, I found the bug-eyed lizard none the worse for wear. Apparently, it’s flexible body and the couch cushions provided enough give for her to survive unscathed. I exhaled a long sigh of utter relief and sank to the floor holding the struggling lizard to my chest. Her tiny claws scratched my face and arms, but it was no less than I deserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  “They’re Weird People, Mom”   My babysitter Mary Ann uttered that phrase when I was about 11 years old.   I think her name was Mary An...