Tuesday, February 27, 2018

The Craziest Thing I’ve Ever Done

Welcome to the real world.
I’m on on my way to work at Dayton’s Downtown Libarary.
I am past my favorite spot past Denny’s (no longer in existence)
And waiting at a red light.
A man without a helmet rides ahead of me.
He seems like a lumberjack that old chuck wood faster that’s 4 woodchucks.
He looks like he’s a Dad the way he wears his glasses,
He looks like a bad ass the way he has no care on his shaved, tattooed head.

Light turns green.

Red car from stage left makes a left turn to fast on “out” GREEN.

He gets hit.
The car drives away with fury for a future motorcycle man willl never see.
Motorclye man, whom I can’t name but find is called “Harold” once police arrive, is on the pavement. He is in pieces.
I stop my car.
I have work to get to an a mirty to escape.
But three seconds out of my Toyota ‘98 and I see he is wheezing and dying.
I see his last breath. I see he gone.
The care that turned left of Cherry St. at a red light is gone. Disappeared with death in the distance. And me. And me, filling out forms I didn’t know existed.
“How did you the *decesaesed*”
My answer: He was a human, like me.
“How did he die?”
My answer: He was hit and run with a red vehicle that matched the blood.

I can’t cringe when I hear a motorcycle.
WEAR YOU GODDAMN HELMET.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I remember when this happened to you. Well done, Alicat

    ReplyDelete

  “They’re Weird People, Mom”   My babysitter Mary Ann uttered that phrase when I was about 11 years old.   I think her name was Mary An...