Sunday, July 22, 2018

Topic: Bureaucracy – or Why I Didn’t Minor in Creative Writing


Author: Chris Dunn

There was this lottery I never won, and this failure determined the course of my life. I’m talking of course, about the Miami University Class Registration student lottery. Every semester they “randomly” determined the order in which students could apply for the next semester’s classes. You would be assigned a day based off the last digit of your Social Security Number, and sure enough, each time I would receive my assignment, I was last or second last. This would have been fine once or twice, but it’s a 1 in 10 chance, and I got 9 tries at! Well, technically 13 since I took 6 years to get my BA. I could blame that on bureaucracy too, but in truth it was more simple fear of the unknown that weighted my feet.

Five, my last digit is a 5. Smack dab in the middle of the run, and still every draft found me down at Millett Hall on Thursday or Friday shuffling through discarded printouts and hand-scrawled option lists trying to find some set of classes that fit together, applied to my major or University requirements, and didn’t have me up at 5am every day racing across campus every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I’d scan down the dot matrix printouts hanging on the walls searching for a Fiction class to fit into my schedule. Closed… Closed… Closed… CLOSED! Crap!

The plan had always been, once I switched to English, to get a double major in Literature and Creative Writing. I had completed ENG 226 Introduction to Creative Writing. I managed to muddle through while still wrestling with the two intro-demons every writer meets at the outset (Embarrassment and Worthiness). The class served to slay the first fairly easily. You had to turn in papers. They had to be read before the class. Everyone’s papers sucked, in some form or another. You got over the “Oh, I don’t want anyone to see my stuff…” pretty quickly, and I thank the course for that. I was ready to move on to the next step. Find the next demon, or be gifted the tools to slay Worthiness - who was still crawling on my back, whispering in my ear, convincing me I was little more than a poser and a fraud. But ENG 320 Intermediate Creative Writing: Fiction was always full by week’s end. They only offered 2 classes per semester, and then only in the first semester of the year. For sophomore and junior years, I simply shrugged and took another elective. Sure, Meteorology sounds nice. Want to hear about all the different types of clouds I can recall?

By my fourth year though - arguably my senior year but numerically still far from graduating -things were getting tight. I received my unfortunate placement again, and hurried down at my first allowed minute with hopes held high. CLOSED! “FUCK, Fuck, fuckity fuck-fuck!” What the hell was I to do? I had no interested in “Writing for Media” or “Creative Non-Fiction”. I had stories to tell! Suddenly a bell rang in my mind, and I scanned down the list. Sure enough, ENG 420 Advanced Creative Writing: Fiction Workshop was open. What if….? I filled out my form took it to the registrar window, they entered the data without a question and handed me back my new course list. I was in! Why hadn’t I thought of this years ago? Take 420 since it was open, then circle back and pick up 320 when I had a chance OR I caught a lucky lottery break. Whew! I’d done it. I’d outsmarted the system. I was going to be a writer.

First day of class, we were all seated in a circle. No desks here, just an open forum for the free exchange of ideas. I was so psyched. The professor spoke with a calm, open voice with an undercurrent of inclusion and community instead of dogma and authoritarianism. This was going to be great. Until, “Is there anyone in here who hasn’t taken ENG 320?”

I timidly raised my hand.

“Oh,” he said. “That’s like a total pre-requisite for this class.”

“Well, it isn’t listed as one, and they let me sign up.”

“Yeah… I don’t know about that, but it is.”

Seriously one of the most embarrassing moments in my life, as I gathered my things and slunk out, under the mocking glares of the world’s next great writers. On the way to the Rez to return my books while still within the grace period, I came to a decision. Fuck it! So, I wouldn’t major, or even minor, in creative writing. Why did I need their approval? What could they possibly teach me? I would be a student of life! Experience and practice would be my muses. Surely, it wouldn’t be ten years before I found the nerve to write again…

1 comment:

  1. As a fellow Miami alum I can vouch for what it used to be like registering for classes before the internet. My stepdaughter went to MIami about 30 years later and never got to experience the "lottery". I hope you got a toasted roll when you went to the Rez to return your books, Chrissie.

    ReplyDelete

  “They’re Weird People, Mom”   My babysitter Mary Ann uttered that phrase when I was about 11 years old.   I think her name was Mary An...