Sunday, July 8, 2018

Worst. Job. Ever

By, Jill Jackson

I have two contenders for the worst job ever. Interestingly, they were both bad for exactly the same reasons: abusive bosses and toxic coworkers.

What I find interesting about this is that both these jobs occurred about ten years apart, and yet I found myself repeating the same emotional and mental patterns in the second instance as of I hadn't learned a damn thing the first time around.

Not that I'm blaming myself for my mistreatment. No. That blame lays squarely with the pieces of shit who saw fit to abuse me, and the assholes who stood by and watched it happen, happy that it wasn't happening to them.

But, I do have to admit that I could, and should, have made the decision not to take the abuse, no matter how much I thought I needed those jobs.

Because the fact of the matter is that after each boss got bored with kicking my as at work, and watching me twist in the wind, they fired me.

Whether I'd stuck around and taken their abuse or stood up for myself and told them to eat a candy bar out of my ass, the end result was the same.

So I might as well have gone for option 2. At least I would have gone out on my own terms.

At least I would have preserved my self-esteem and self respect.

Right now my work situation is good. Sure, I have some co-workers who can kiss my ass but, for the most part, it's good. And I have a boss who has my back, which is really important to me.

But, I have learned, and I will not let that lesson go to waste:

When things turn to shit, get the fuck out. Because they are not going to get any better, and you'll probably end up out of a job anyway.

Sure, ideally I will find some other form of employment first, but if it's bad enough then it's best to leave.

That may seem irresponsible on the surface, but nobody should have to eat shit on a daily basis, and have anxiety attacks about going to work. Nobody should fear their boss. Nobody should be bullied at work.

And if any of that shit ever happens again, I'm out.

1 comment:

  1. When you consider the amount of time most of us spend in the workplace, having a tolerable work situation is critical. You're totally right--no one should be bullied at work.

    ReplyDelete

  “They’re Weird People, Mom”   My babysitter Mary Ann uttered that phrase when I was about 11 years old.   I think her name was Mary An...