Monday, July 2, 2018

Topic: Camp

The first time I really made camp, my college roommate -- another Jim -- took me to a lake near his home.  Of course, we were college students, so the only things we brought were beer and some college food.  Or maybe we just brought beer.

I remember seeing stars that I'd never seen. As a kid from the suburbs, being out in the dark was a real revelation.  I've seen better star fields since then, but this one made me hungry to see them again.

I remember having to make a fire to stay warm.  As a kid, I was in charge of starting fires in my home.  Yep, that does seem backwards when you think about it now, but whatevs.  This was the first fire I needed to make me feel alive, though.  By the early morning, we were both nearly huddled in the glowing coals, since we neglected to bring any sleeping bags or blankets.  We had beer.  I've made a lot better fires since then.  However, this one made me understand that fire can be life.

In the morning, we debated throwing some bare hooks in the lake.  We did remember two fish hooks and line, but no rods.  Jim figured we could probably catch some crappie and use those to catch catfish.  But there was a diner down the road.  I'd fished before, and I'd considered it a way to relax.  I realized that I relax better when I don't have to contemplate gutting an actual fish, so I opted to buy the breakfast.

These days, I carry my camp behind me in the truck.  I still don't fish, other than as a way to hide from people who want to talk to me.  I still make fires.  I still stare at the stars, looking for the Milky Way as proof that I'm far enough away from the world that my particular form of crazy is quiesced.

I think it's time for a trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  “They’re Weird People, Mom”   My babysitter Mary Ann uttered that phrase when I was about 11 years old.   I think her name was Mary An...